Top Ways to View Fall Foliage in Aspen
In mid-September, hot summer days shift to shorter fall days with brisk evenings, and the beautiful aspen trees all around Aspen, CO begin their seasonal transition from vibrant hues of green to a bright golden glow. Filling the entire region with their beautiful glow. These vivid aspens juxtaposed with dark green conifer trees and deep blue Colorado skies, are a spectacle that is definitely worth traveling for.
Once you’re here, Aspen’s wide variety of foliage viewing options will make any leaf peeper rejoice:
- Catch the bus up to the iconic Maroon Bells to view the foliage from Maroon Lake or one of the areas many hiking trails.
- Ride on the Silver Queen Gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain. Open on weekends Sept. 6-8, 13-15, 20-22, 27-29, & Oct. 4-6, 2019.
- Take a scenic drive over Independence Pass or venture up Maroon Creek Road or Castle Creek Road to enjoy the colors from the comfort of your car.
- Travel where few can go on a Blazing Adventures Jeep Tour up Aspen Mountain, to the historic area of Lenado, or up Taylor Pass.
- Take in the fall foliage from the water on a guided fly fishing trip, rafting trip or standup paddle board down the North Star Nature Preserve.
- Take a scenic hike. Consider American Lake Trail, Hunter Creek, Cathedral Lake, or Government Trail to immerse yourself in the golden aspens.
- Zoom down Snowmass Bike Park’s 2,897 vertical feet of purpose-built downhill trails, winding from the top of the Elk Camp Gondola to Snowmass Base Village through thick stands of golden aspen.
- Learn about the region’s mining history as you take in the fall colors surrounding Ashcroft Ghost Town.
- Soar over Aspen with a certified instructor from Aspen Paragliding. Fall tours are offered through mid-October.
How will you know when the colors are at their peak? Nature can be unpredictable in the mountains, but the Power of Four Roundshot camera leaves the guessing behind with a live panorama of all four Aspen Snowmass mountains and the surrounding valley so that you can see exactly what the colors are looking like every day. The Weather Channel also offers a handy Fall Foliage Map which estimates peak fall foliage times and shares the latest reports from around the U.S. so that you can begin your planning early.
Unlike many mountain towns, Aspen continues to thrive in the autumn with several restaurants, shops and attractions staying open well into October. Our lodging specials makes it easy to come experience Aspen’s most brilliant season.